Lucky for all of us Vionic shoe lovers, we've got a little inside scoop from celebrity fitness trainer, Juliet Kaska. She has trained the likes of Kate Walsh, Ali Larter, Stacey Kiebler and Kerry Washington (ooh, Scandal!), just to name a few. No big deal!
Juliet believes in the power of walking for a solid foundation in fitness. She contributes to the Vionic Innovation Lab as a leader in health and fitness, helping educate and motivate us all in our path toward wellness.
Below, Juliet gives us ten tips to walk for exercise.
1. Commit to what is reasonable for your level and not that of your neighbor or an inspiring person you see on TV, or in a fitness ad. Strive to do something everyday.
2. Practice breathing from your diaphragm. Breathe through your nose and fill your abdominal cavity with air, and exhale through pursed lips while gently pulling in the abdominals. I call this "belly button to spine".
3. Try to get in 4 to 6 power walks a week. If you are a beginner, shoot for 20 to 30 minutes. If you're more advanced, take it up to 45 or 60 minute sessions. You should aim to increase your workout time by 10% each week.
4. Take time to stretch during a long walk. Stretch the thighs by bringing your heels to your glutes; twist your torso from side to side; reach up and backward with the arms through a forward wide lunge are just a few you can do during your walk.
5. Avoid caffeinated drinks before you walk. Caffeinated drinks cause you to lose fluid therefore making you more susceptible to dehydration.
6. Be aware of your surroundings when walking. Be aware of the sights and sounds around you to enjoy a safe walk. Take in nature and use your walking time to clear your mind.
7. If you're walking on a treadmill, download a good playlist and listen to some tunes while you walk.
8. Dress appropriately so you can focus on exercising. During the colder months, it’s all about layering!
9. Grab a walking buddy! Having company and accountability always help you go further!
10. Be sure to replace your shoes on a regular basis. It's best to do so at about every 500 miles. One great tip is to buy two pair of walking shoes. One pair that you walk in on a regular basis and the other for just one day a week.
Once you start to feel the difference between the two pairs, it's time to buy some new ones.
So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and get active!